Monday, February 8, 2010

BLOOG #1

I draw comics and I’d like to keep doing so as long as possible. In order for me to be able to and possibly even make a living out of it, I have to fully embrace all the options that modern media offers. Today, information is disseminated at a rapid rate and absolutely anyone can add whatever they want to that. The easy part is participating in this ongoing stream of media, the real challenge lies is having anyone outside your own social circle take notice of what you are producing.

All of the necessary tools for establishing one’s presence in new media are there. Websites like Twitter and Facebook and Myspace all have specific areas and approaches for people with a product or service. There are also countless file hosting sites to use to present whatever media you have and all kinds of blogs and websites to act as a presentation of yourself and your work. In the time that I’ve been writing and drawing comics I’ve tried to use new media to expose my work to people. For a long time I used the blog part of Myspace to post up comics on a weekly basis and then would use their bulletin feature to inform people about it. Then a few years ago I started using a blogspot blog to post up the comics and put up statuses on Facebook and twitter about new posts. Unfortunately, this has really only ensured that people I already know have read my comics. Attempts at getting outside individuals to read them has been a lot harder, and has involved me directly contacting people and selling hard copies of comics all in an attempt to get gain attention for my work.

I’ve only recently begun fully utilizing the tools that the modern age has laid at our fingertips. Granted I have been using them pretty poorly, but it’s important to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment